Brave Karnataka Woman Sucks Venom From Mother's Leg To Save Her From Cobra Bite

Brave Karnataka Woman Sucks Venom From Mother's Leg To Save Her From Cobra Bite

When a venomous snake bites a human, the venom enters the bloodstream and can cause a variety of symptoms, ranging from mild to severe, depending on the type of snake and the amount of venom injected.

These symptoms can include pain, swelling, redness, blistering, and necrosis (death of tissue) around the bite area, as well as systemic effects such as headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, dizziness, fainting, and difficulty breathing.

If left untreated, snake bites can lead to life-threatening complications, such as severe bleeding, organ damage, and respiratory failure. In some cases, the venom can cause paralysis, coma, and even death. Therefore, it is important to seek immediate medical attention if you or someone you know has been bitten by a snake, especially if it is a venomous one.

A lady from Karnataka in a similar situation stepped up for her mother and saved her life; here's what she did.

A college student saved the life of her mother, who had been bitten by a snake, in a scene straight out of a movie. Shramya Rai, the student, sucked the poison from her leg. The incident happened in Puttur, a town in Karnataka's Dakshina Kannada district. Shramya has won a lot of admiration for her bravery and composure. Shramya attends Puttur's Vivekananda Degree College, while Mamata Rai serves as a 'Keyyur Gram Panchayat' member.

Mamata was visiting her mother's farm in Puttur when she made the statement. She entered the agricultural area to turn on the water pump. She unintentionally stepped on a cobra on the way back. After that, the snake bit her leg. 

As soon as she realised she had been bitten by a poisonous snake, she covered the bite mark with a knot of dry grass to prevent the venom from spreading to the body's vital organs. Shramya, the daughter of Mamata, realised that the dry grass knot wouldn't be enough to stop the venom from spreading once she raised the alarm.

Before taking Mamata to the hospital, Shramya sucked the poison from her mother's mouth to save her life. According to hospital staff members, Shramya's prompt action saved Mamata's life.

For saving her mother from the snake bite, Shramya, who is also a scout and guide ranger in her college, has received praise. Shramya claimed that she had seen it in movies and heard about how this method of sucking out the poison worked.

In many middle- and low-income countries, snakebites are a serious public health issue. A study that was published in Nature Communications estimates that up to 64,100 of the 78,600 snakebite fatalities worldwide occur in India.

After staying in the hospital for one day, Mamata was given a clean bill of health and released. Mamata Rai was bitten by a Malabar pit viper.

What do you think about this? Tell us in the comments.