Ukraine-Russia war: Karnataka student dies in heavy shelling at Kharkiv

Navin from Ranebennur Taluk in Haveri district died in the heavy shelling of Russian troops in Kharkiv. Family members and relatives have come to his residence at Ranebennur. His family members residing in Chennai.

Ukraine-Russia war: Karnataka student dies in heavy shelling at Kharkiv

Kyiv: Despite India is making the best effort to evacuate Indian nationals stranded in Ukraine, a disturbing report coming from war-torn Ukraine, Karnataka student has lost his life while heavy shelling by Russian troops in Kharkiv city on Tuesday morning.

Naveen Shekarappa Gyanagowder, a 21-year-old, fourth-year medical student, studying in Kharkiv, he went out this morning to buy breakfast for himself and his friends. SInce four-five days, many Indian students have tucked in Kharkiv. Students studying in Kyiv were able to cross the border, but many students especially from Karnataka have struck at Kharkiv and are not able to move out. 

Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai said that many students from Karnataka are studying in Kharkiv and stranded in Kharikiv. Russian troops have resorted to heavy shelling on this second-largest city of Ukraine. Russian missiles hit the strategic and military establishment of Kharkiv city. During crossfire, Russian miles hit a few residential buildings. 

Kharkiv, the second-largest city of Ukraine has witnessed heavy shelling, Russian forces have made an intense missile attack on Kharkiv and due to heavy airstrike, one multi-storied building has collapsed.

Karnataka student Navin has died this morning following heavy shelling of Russian troops, he has out for this morning for breakfast. His mortal remains were kept in the mortuary of Kharkiv. Due to a shortage of food he went out to buy breakfast. He and his four friends were decided to stay at Kharkiv. 

Arindam Bagchi, spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs tweeted that “With profound sorrow, we confirm that an Indian student lost his life in shelling in Kharkiv this morning. The Ministry is in touch with his family. We convey our deepest condolences to the family.

Navin was resident of Ranebennur taluk in Haveri district. The Indian embassy is in touch with its Ukraine counterpart seeking more details about his shocking death. Initial report stated that Navin was Medical student at Kharkiv medical college, 

Kharkiv city has completely seized, Ukraine government has instructed its citizen not to come out from their house and asked to remain in the bunker. His family members are in Chennai. External Affairs Ministry has informed family members of Navin regarding this tragic incident. 

The Indian government has expedited its attempt to bring back students who are stranded in Ukraine. It has asked Indian nationals to come to the Poland-Ukraine border by road. Many have already left Kyiv, but many students are still stranded in Ukraine. 

Foreign Secretary is calling in Ambassadors of Russia and Ukraine to reiterate our demand for urgent safe passage for Indian nationals who are still in Kharkiv and cities in other conflict zones. Similar action is also being undertaken by our Ambassadors in Russia and Ukraine.

Manoj Rajan, Commissioner Karnataka State Diaster Management Authority (SDMA) confirmed the death of Naveen Shekargowda Gyanagowder. "We have confirmed from MEA the unfortunate demise of Naveen Shekharappa in #Ukraine. He was from Chalageri, Haveri; had left for a nearby store to buy something. Later his friend got a call from a local official that he (Naveen) has died". 

Bommai consoles Naveen's father: Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai telephoned the father of Navin, Shekargowda, who consoled the death of Navin during the Russian rocket attack in Kharkiv. 

He telephoned Shekarappa, taken information about his son who studying medicine in Kharkiv. Chief Minister has assured Shekarappa that government is doing its best effort to bring motral remains of Naveen to India, he is in touch with External Affairs ministry. 

Mr. Shekarappa told the Chief Minister that Naveen has called this morning and said that he was safe in Kharkiv, he used to call twice a day, Shekarappa told the Chief Minister.