New Zealand pull out of Pakistan tour citing 'security alert'
Rawalpindi: New Zealand Cricket on Friday stated that they would pull out of their tour of Pakistan due to a “security alert” from their government.
After the toss in the first ODI was delayed, New Zealand Cricket released a statement saying the team would be pulling out of the tour.
The Kiwis were scheduled to play three ODIs and five T20Is across Rawalpindi and Lahore as part of their tour of Pakistan.
The release stated arrangements were being made for the players to fly back to New Zealand.
"I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” said David White, the NZC Chief Executive.
The PCB said the decision by the NZC would disappoint cricket lovers. "Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series," the PCB statement said.
"PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal."